Wednesday, August 29, 2012

IGN Made Me Think? About Addiction?

They've done it! It's finally happened! IGN has finally written an article that can't, logically, be seen as pointless drivel. It's actually more of an Op-Ed, but it's one of the better ones that I've seen on the internet, let alone on IGN.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy IGN's content a great deal and I tend to look to them for my gaming news. It's just that their content is well... Let's think of it like Jim Gaffigan would, "It's all McDonald's. McDonald's for your soul. Momentary pleasure followed by incredible guilt, eventually leading to cancer. 'I'm lovin' it.'"

Anyway!

IGN. Yes. Article.

So, IGN posted an Op-Ed written by IGN Wireless editor Justin Davis. Who?  Yeah. I was unaware of him until now, too. Guess if you don't do the mainstream stuff or scream "BEYOND!" you're not likely to be known on the website, unless you write something with some heart. And this guy did.

Seriously. If you're a person that has come to hate life - aka the 99% - and has come to play video games as a means of stress release and relaxation, then perhaps you should be reading this little tidbit from Mr. Davis. Here is the link!

He basically talks about how video games can be a destructive means of "security" and protection from the outside world. According to Davis video games have a certain level of guaranteed accomplishment; that they give you a feeling that your hard work is paying off. I, for one, cannot see anything incorrect with this logic.

I mean, the basis of video games is to play something entertaining, whether that be manipulating RG3's rookie season in Madden NFL 13or you're running around a dark version of ancient Greece, killing Gods in God of War. Either way, you're doing it because you want to be entertained, right?  Well, what if you're doing it because you NEED to be entertained? There's a new and troubling way to think about it.
The truth is, you want me on that TV; you NEED me on that TV.
Gaming as an addiction isn't a relatively new viewpoint, but the way that Davis words it - in an "everyday man" sort of way - is a bit more convincing than from a doctor who's never laid a finger on a controller and yet wants to put you down for your evil vice (shame). Personally, I can find a whole lot of things that relate to me recently for why I would use a digital world to escape the shitty one in which I currently reside. And frankly, I don't care.

I'm not running out and buying up every new game every week for $60 a pop. I'm not standing in line for 18 hours waiting for the latest consoles (just bought my first N64 the other day which doesn't work on this craptastic coax port on this TV but that's anotherrantforanotherdayohmyGodmakeitstop!!). I'm not ignoring work, my girlfriend or eating in favor of long term gaming sessions. Well, maybe the eating part if I'm really getting into a game and a I have to turn in a review by a specific time, but that's actually doing work. REGARDLESS. I'm not letting the controllers control me.

Either way, I'd say that if you do have a curiosity into the psyche of a gamer and you'd like to read something that isn't pointless opinion about why Black Ops II is the second coming, I'd suggest reading Davis's Op-Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment